Saturday, October 17, 2009

Ten Easy Every Day Ways to Save the Planet From an Eco Dummie


Okay guys, I am not what you would call a "Greenie", but I would like to be! Now working with Peggy from Vermont Woods Studios, it has made me more aware of my responsibility to the planet. I have just always felt a little overwhelmed by all the ways to "save the planet". I know that I cannot be the only ECO DUMMY out there. ( At least I hope not). So, here are ten EASY every day ways to save the planet, that even us eco dummies can do.


  1. Turn off the water when you brush your teeth. (My favorite)
  2. Buy your veggies locally from farms or farmers markets. (Others are shipped from all over).
  3. Buy and use energy efficient light bulbs. (I saw a statistic from GE that said that if every household in the US replaced one light bulb with one of their energy efficient ones, it would save over $600 million in energy costs a year!)
  4. Recycle. (Ugh!) This is my hardest one! But, instead of trying to recycle everything....just try one or two. Aluminum cans are REALLY easy to identify and is a great start. Peggy says it makes a huge difference to recycle aluminum cans too. There are obviously more things to recycle but it's good to start small when you are an eco dummie!
  5. Drink tap water instead of bottled water. Yes, it is more convenient, but think of all those bottles that you are saving from a landfill. Use a reusable bottle for your water or drinks. Just use the PBA free ones...not the bad plastic ones.
  6. Wash your clothes in cold water. Hey! I have been doing this one for years too! My clothes last longer and look better longer, and it is a total myth that hot water gets them cleaner!
  7. Turn off or unplug appliances/chargers/electronics/computers as much as possible. Even though some of these items are turned off they are STILL RUNNING and using electricity! I think this would be a pain unless I got those long power strips and shut down stuff all at once. That would work. This saves tons on your electric bill too!
  8. Turn off ceiling fans when you leave the room or house.
  9. Use eco friendly household cleaners. Keeps those nasty chemicals out of the environment.
  10. Bring your own bags to the grocery store. Don't worry about looking like a "bag" lady!
These things are much easier then, lets say, buying a Prius, or planting a "green" roof on your garage, or even installing solar panels on your house. These are wonderful things to do, if you can do them, but not all of us are able to. So, try out these every day ways we can save the planet.

Let me know what you think, or if you have even better ideas that I couldn't think of.

Have eco fun!

Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment