Monday, February 15, 2010

Handmade Furniture: Top Ten Reasons To Buy It


Why should you purchase handmade/handcrafted furniture? I asked myself that same question after having just moved from Florida and moved into my new place in Vermont, and having NO furniture since I had sold it all before the move. After all, I hadn't purchased nice furniture in the last few years because I knew I was moving. So nothing I had would be what I would call....worth keeping. So, now I have a whole new outlook on buying nice furniture instead of running around to yardsales, not that there are any here this time of year, but now I want pieces that are going to last me for a long time. That may mean spending more but in the long run I will be saving money since the nicer pieces will last longer. I cannot tell you how many bookshelves I have bought from Walmart and they fall apart in the next year! Ugh! No more cheap stuff.

  1. Handcrafted does not always mean expensive. I have seen some furniture pieces that are mass produced and they are not that much less then the handcrafted!
  2. A lot of handcrafted/handmade furniture can be adjusted/custom made to fit YOUR specifications. Try asking Ikea to make your dining table the size you want.
  3. Most classic furniture makers use "REAL" wood for their furniture. Tons of mass produced furniture is made from different types of particle boards.
  4. When you are talking about handcrafting furniture, there are quality standards that tend to be upheld with the furniture artisan. Meaning they take tons of pride in their craft.
  5. So, when talking quality furniture - one of those things is the mortise and tennon joinery used in making the furniture.
  6. Also, when talking quality furniture - the furniture makers use true dovetails when making their drawers - this is a sign of quality.
  7. Using high end hardware, for drawers and pulls.
  8. Using real wood, preferably sustainable wood, instead of particle boards.
  9. I think using natural, non-toxic furniture finishes are also a mark of quality.
  10. And, I think the most important thing, these pieces last FOREVER if taken care of. These are furniture desks, beds, chests, hutches that you pass down to your children....or if you dont have children your family members fight over once you are gone. :)
So, when you are in need of a new piece of furniture, think of what I've said above and buy a true piece of handcrafted furniture. You won't regret it.

Enjoy!

Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment